Design & Technology
Design and Technology is an inspiring, innovative and practical subject. Design and Technology encourages children to learn to think and intervene creatively to solve problems both as individuals and as members of a team. At Burnham on Crouch Primary school, we encourage children to use their creativity and imagination, to design and make products that solve real and relevant problems within a variety of contexts, considering their own and others’ needs, wants and values. We aim to, wherever possible, link work to other disciplines such as mathematics, science, engineering, computing and the arts.
The children are given opportunities to reflect upon and evaluate past and present design and technology. Its uses and its effectiveness are discussed and children are encouraged to become innovators and risk-takers.
In EYFS, children explore and discuss the use and properties of different construction materials. They select materials and techniques for a purpose, design and create products, evaluate the product’s effectiveness and adapt their product accordingly.
In KS1 and KS2 each sequence of lessons includes:
- considering the user and purpose of the product they will design to create specific design criteria for their product. They will investigate and evaluate existing products thinking about how they are made and how well they fulfil their purpose.
- perform focused tasks developing particular aspects of knowledge and technical skills.
- design 'something' for 'somebody' or for 'some purpose'.
- make the product applying knowledge and understanding of materials and components, mechanisms and control systems, structures and health and safety.
- evaluate their own product against the design criteria.